So, did you ever postpone baking a cake out of fear of it not coming out great? Or may be because you didn’t have a good cake tin or a springfoam? Here’s a solution. Your cake can look just as stunning in a cast iron skillet. The rustic tough goes beautifully with the dark chocolate flavour. So if you are baking a cake for you and your family to indulge in and not for any occassion, try out this Easy Skillet Chocolate Cake. The best part? You don’t have to butter it or use a baking paper. You don’t even have to worry about getting the shape. Just whip it, pour it, bake it and dig in!Jump to Recipe
P.S. If your cast iron is well seasoned, it may even come out evenly without trying! I bought my Lodge cast iron from Ace, Dubai Festival City. You can get it online here.
A quick story of how I made this. So, I decided to bake my sister a cake for her 22nd birthday. I had everything ready and when I poured the batter into the spring foam which was the only one I had, it started to leak.
That’s when I poured the remaining batter into the cast iron skillet. Baked it as planned and skipped making my own frosting because I was anyway going to get her another cake. I topped with some Nutella and a few chocolates that were lying around in the refrigerator. And guess what? It turned out to be one of my top performing posts on Instagram. Sometimes, JUGAAD works!
Anyhoo, let’s see how this Easy Chocolate Cake is made!
I am not using any hand mixwe here, just my balloon whisk. So all the tools you need are 2 bowls, measuring cup, a couple of spoons and a balloon whisk.
First I sift and mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Here, I have used boiling water and add some vanilla essence to it and set aside. Then all the wet ingredients are mixed in a separate bowl using the balloon whisk starting with the eggs. Then we add the wet mix (excluding water and vanilla) into the dry ingredients little by little and mix well. This ensures that no lumps are formed. In the end we add the water and vanilla mix and combine well. The consistency is a loose one, looser than the usual batter, but don’t worry it will turn out really well.
Now, this is a mildly sweet cake, it’s not too sweet or dense, it is the perfect sweetness that I go for. So, this goes really well with a rich and sweet frosting like a cream cheese or a butter cream frosting. Last year, I used the same recipe to make an Oreo Chocolate Cake for my friend. And it turned out really well.
Easy Skillet Chocolate CakeCourse: UncategorizedDifficulty: Easy
This easy chocolate cake can be made in 45 minutes using a skillet and a balloon whisk. Don’t have a cake tin? Bake it in a skillet!
- Dry Ingredients
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Sugar – 2 cups
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Cocoa – 3/4 cup
- Wet Ingredients
Eggs – 4
Oil – 1 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Boiling water – 1 cup
Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsp
- In a bowl, sift in all-purpose flour and sugar.
- To this add baking powder, baking soda, salt and sifted cocoa. Mix this well using a balloon whisk. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- In a separate bowl, add 4 eggs and beat well using a whisk. To this add vegetable oil and milk (at room temperature). Whisk well again.
- To a cup of boiling water, add vanilla essence and keep it aside.
- Add the wet ingredients (except boiling water and vanilla essence mix) to the dry ingredients, small portion at a time. Combine well using a whisk.
- After the wet ingredients has been added and it is ensured that there are no lumps, add in the water and vanilla essence mix. You will find that the batter becomes loose (looser than regular cake batter) but do not worry, this is how we want it.
- Now, add half of the prepared batter in an oven proof dish, here I have used a cast iron skillet for easy usage and to give a rustic looks. You can use any other regular baking tin as well.
- This is just a basic, easy chocolate cake recipe, the dish to use is totally up to your choice.
- Preheat the oven at 150°C for 10 minutes. Bake the cake (half portion in one container) at 150°C for 30 minutes.
- After it has cooled, you can remove from the skillet or dish and top with the frosting of your choice. I used Nutella and some chocolates to top since it is just a simple cake recipe.
Lastly, if you make this easy chocolate cake, be sure to leave a comment! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! If you liked this, check our my easy Nutella French Toast!